We’re looking to hire a Youth Program Manager to oversee the Promise Young Leaders Program as part of our core team in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside.
Promise Vancouver’s guiding principle is the core truth that every child is valuable and loved and it is our mission to help children and youth find security and wholeness in this knowledge. We are a Christian-based nonprofit organization, based in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside, and an independently operating member of UrbanPromise International. The Promise approach is to Reach a Child, Raise a Leader, Restore Community, which we put into practice through long-term relationships and intentional programs.
We offer two main programs: for grades 1 to 7 we have After-School Programs and Summer Day Camps where we strive to help children overcome systemic barriers by increasing their competencies in literacy, social connection, and mental health. For grades 8 to 12 we have the Young Leaders Program, a paid employment opportunity for teens where they lead and mentor their younger peers, receive mentorship, and gain valuable life skills.
What you’ll be responsible for
As our Youth Program Manager, you will oversee and mentor 15+ Young Leaders (grades 8-12) as they lead their younger peers through year-round programming in the Downtown Eastside. This is a full-time, permanent position at our location in Vancouver, BC, reporting directly to the Executive Director. As a leader on the programs team, your work will have an immediate and meaningful impact on children in a community that faces complex challenges.
- Manage and mentor our team of Young Leaders (YLs)
- Cultivate trusting and strong mentoring relationships with YLs and elementary students.
- Manage our team of YLs as they lead elementary students (delivering instructions and feedback, scheduling and tracking shifts, providing necessary resources, leading by example)
- Prepare and deliver weekly leadership sessions to help YLs grow personally and professionally
- Co-lead School-Year and Summer programs with our Elementary Program Manager
- Supervise program activities, ensuring safety for children, youth, staff and volunteers
- Develop and grow the Young Leaders (YL) Program to ensure lasting success
- Define and implement a strategic plan to grow and deepen the impact of the YL Program
- Cultivate a strong network of community partners and organizations to support the YL Program
- Recruit new teenagers to join the YL Program
- Collaborate to achieve the mission and goals of Promise Vancouver
- Collaborate with Promise Vancouver colleagues, including regular involvement in team meetings, working at events and activities, and assisting with promotion as needed.
What you’ll bring to the table
- You have a passion for mentoring and developing young people. You will have the opportunity to work with a team to impact the lives of youth, their families, and the wider community.
- You’re charismatic and relational. You’re great at finding common ground to relate with teens and you can match (and sometimes exceed!!!!) their energy when needed. You’re comfortable being a day-to-day face of Promise toward the children, teens, families, and community partners.
- You’re a team player. You enjoy working with others to achieve meaningful goals and deliver excellent results. You model great teamwork skills and know what it takes to build an effective team.
- You thrive in complex environments. The Downtown Eastside is known for its strong sense of community and also for its complex challenges. You’re able to approach complicated situations with sensitivity and nuance.
- You strive for excellence. These kids are important, so it’s our priority to deliver programs that are first-rate. You recognize that details matter, you listen attentively to what teens and kids are saying, and you take action to ensure that they are getting a top quality program.
- You’re organized. You have more than just heart: you come prepared to take on operational, administrative, and strategic responsibilities to ensure the Young Leaders Program functions smoothly and sustainably.
- You’re experienced. You’ve developed a unique set of life skills and experiences that will bring value to our small-but-mighty core team. Your background might be in education, child and youth care, social services, recreation, or a different relevant field!
Working at Promise
As our Youth Program Manager, you’ll be joining a dynamic team that is making a meaningful impact on families in the Downtown Eastside community. Benefits for full-time, permanent staff include a competitive salary, extended health and dental insurance, a flexible work schedule, generous vacation time, and a work environment where you will feel inspired, challenged, and supported.
Sound like you?
We would love to get to know you! Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and our team will follow up with you. All applicants will receive a response and qualified candidates will be asked to interview for this position.